to the Online Home of
Ben Hill County Georgia
This site is designed to bring our citizens
closer to county government and to keep you informed about what is
To receive the latest news sign up for our
Ben Hill County was created in 1906, from Irwin and Wilcox counties,
and was named for Benjamin Harvey Hill, U.S. Senator from Georgia, a
Whig leader, and a staunch opponent of Reconstruction. To learn more
about the founding of Ben Hill County, read the full story "The
Creation of Ben Hill County".
The Historic District on South Lee and South Main streets of
Fitzgerald are listed on the National Register, and the old railroad
depot is now home to the
Blue and Gray Museum. Other area
attractions that should not be missed are the
Fitzgerald Fire Department Museum and the
Davis Memorial Historic Site.
The county has only one incorporated city,
Fitzgerald, which was
founded by former Union soldiers on a 50,000 acre tract owned by the
non-profit American Tribune Soldiers Colony Company. The citizens of
Fitzgerald, pledging unity with their former enemies, named streets
after leaders of both armies. The early concentration of population
in the city aided the county's industrial development. The colony
also founded the first public school in Georgia to offer free books
Ben Hill County and the
City of Fitzgerald maintain nine
recreational parks and one river access park at the Ocmulgee River.
These facilities offer playgrounds, team sports, natural areas,
meeting and concert shelters, and public boat ramps.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
E Verify # 185315 as of January 28th, 2009
Statement of Non-Discrimination